Press Releases
 

TOURNAMENT HISTORY

 

The very first State level Boys Basketball Tournament was held in Syracuse at the Syracuse University Archbold Gym in 1921 with Poughkeepsie defeating Sherill 29-18. The Championships remained at Syracuse until 1932, except for 1927 when it was held in Buffalo and in 1928 when it was held in Troy.  After the 1932 season the Championships were discontinued until 1978.  With the involvement of Governor Hugh Carey, Education Commissioner Gordon Ambach, the NYSPHSAA Boys Basketball Chairman T.William Farell and representatives of the PSAL and CHSAA, the Boys Basketball Tournament was reborn.  Several conditions were attached to the Tournament - namely that champions of each Association advanced so that no school would have to be responsible for their travel expenses.  Only schools from the NYSPHSAA participated in 1978, in Rochester.

The Federation Tournament, as it is known today, was first held at the War Memorial in Rochester and was contested in Classes AAA, AA, A and B. It was called the "Super 16" Tournament. In 1980, still in Rochester, the Classes were changed to A, B, C and D.  In 1981 the Boys Federation Tournament was moved to Glens Falls and has been held there ever since.

The Girls Federation Tournament was started in 1982 and was held at Union College in Schenectady.  For the years 1983 through 1987 the Girls Tournament was held at Queensbury High School.  In 1988 the Tournament was moved to Wagner College. In 1989 the Tournament was held at SUNY New Paltz.  Years 1990 through 1994 it was held at Marist College in Poughkeepsie.  In 1995 the Boys and Girls Federation Tournament of Champions was combined into one Tournament and was held in the Glens Falls Civic Center where it has been ever since.

Contributed by:

Walter Eaton
Bill Wetherbee

 

 

Copyright 2006-2009 Glens Falls New York State Basketball Tournament
Web Site Designed By: